Brought to Newfoundland in the 1840s and later purchased by William Squarey to print the first issue of the The Standard, and Conception-Bay Advertiser in 1859, the press saw continual use until the Harbor Grace Standard ceased publication in 1936. The “Washington” press equipment, manufactured by R. Hoe & Company, used to print the Standard, was still being used by Munn & Oke, Ltd. to print posters when Memorial University of Newfoundland purchased it in 1962 and named it the “Pitcher Plant Press”. It was subsequently used by Professor George Story to teach bibliography. It was later moved to Grenfell campus in 1994 where it was used in relief print making courses. It was returned to the Queen Elizabeth II Library in 2010 and is now part of the holding of Special Collections.
We hope to get the Pitcher Plant Press back in operation this year. Stay tuned!